Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Culinary Challenge Day 7 The Final Chapter

Final Thoughts

Well well the end is nigh. My final day of the Japanese Culinary Challenge is at a close, all that is left is half a cup of green tea....My thoughts at this end of the week are mixed....I am sad to be leaving such a beautiful ritualistic way of eating that was focused by passion and intrigue...on the other hand if I ever see another grain of rice again.....

The Final Day

My day began with miso and rice. I think it would be fair to say at this point I wasn't ctually tasting flavours. I guess it is similar to those of us who have a morning ritual of cereal or toast and vegemite -we certainly are tasting all the distinct flavours day after day... Maybe I have been some what initiated into the Japnese way of life!

For lunch I returned to my favourite haunt - Bread Top for a tuna mayonnaise bun - wow I even have my Japanese comfort food! No time for anything else as I was eating on the run, but I was also anticipating my final dinner.....

Dinner tonight required something extra special and not just in the food....I found myself at a Asian chinaware place late this afternoon admiring the many beautiful platters, bowls and spoons used in the presentation of Japanese food and I couldn't resist.....

When I returned home I moved my low table into the middle of the lounge room and placed four floor cushions around it. Tonight my guests and I would eat in true Japanese style. The meal began with a bonita fish broth, then sashmi, cut myslef from a beautiful piece of fresh tuna I bought from the Queen Victoria Market. The next course was cold buckwheat noodles with a soy dressing adorned with roasted sesame seeds and spring onions. This was accompanied with grilled teriyaki fish. The fish I used was ling, soft, sweet and succulent. To finish we nibbled on some sweet chestnut dumplings (not made by me, but purchased from an Asian store.) To accompany dessert we drank warm sake. Ahh it was a memorable ode farewell to Japan.....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has it been a week already?!

That you for your interesting and inpiring guide through Japanese food, Pip!

Where in the world are you going next! Don't let us starve!! ;)

7:10 PM

 
Blogger Pippa said...

I am so glad that you have enjoyed this week of Japanese culinary exploration...The next culinary challenge is France, I can't wait for breakfasts of cafe a`lait and fresh croissants...I hope that has wet your appetite!

1:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home