Thursday, February 23, 2006

Culinary Challenge Day 5


Tasty Tofu
On one of my adventures out and about I came across some interesting tofu products.Now don't get me wrong I love tofu in many forms - smoked, silken, firm, marinated even fried (if it is done well) but there are several forms of tofu which seem to defy my logic and my tastebuds. One of these such products formed part of my breakfast this morning - shredded duck tofu! Its texture was thin and flaky and flavored with soy and five spice. I think it was supposed to resemble cooked duck meat, but it was chewy and a little cold and slimey. Some things just weren't meant to be! Consequently my breakfast this morning consisted of rice and green tea. Ah the simple things really are a blessing in disguise!

Sweet and Soft
After the tastebud tragedy of my morning by lunchtime I was hankering for something sweet and soft to erase all memories of salty slime. I knew just the thing - a sweet mochi or Japanese rice cake. They come in many weird and wonderful flavours, but I wasn't feeling very adventorous so I opted for good old apple. There are no words to describe the silkiness of mochi - a kind of texture that only the Asian cultures seem to be able to create. One mouth full of this soft green heaven, then I was ready to forgive any fake duck misadventures (surely they were led astrat by the Chinese fantasies of vegetarian meat products.) I can tell you no more about these delicacies except to say that one was enough to satisfy my tastebuds until dinner and that they are available from all Japanese foodstores. (The Great Eastern in Russell Street has some wonderful flavours.)

Beans for Dessert?
By dinnertime I was lusting after real meat. All day I had time to ponder the benefits of the real thing that I thought I would create a Japanese inspired roast chicken and vegetables. For this recipe I purchased some chicken drumsticks (3 per serve is good), a head of celery, a daikon, a leek and a pumpkin. I chopped the vegetables to roughly the same size and threw them into a baking dish with the drumsticks. I combined some sake, mirin, chopped ginger and garlic, chicken stock and a little oil together and poured over the vegetables and chicken. I then chopped up a lemon removing the skin and pips and mixed that in with the vegetable (the lemon disintegrates and gives a wonderful flavour). I left everything to marinate for an hour and then I cooked it in a hot (200 degree) oven for another hour. Served with some rice the dish was a hit. Needless to say the flavours perfectly balance each other and while this is obviously not a traditional Japanese dish after the last five days I think it was time for me to experiment a little! Dessert however was a simple and traditional affair sweet red beans (from a can!) Hmmm very interesting!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pippa,I wandered over here from Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen, and love your blog. Was wondering if you'd ever tried natto--fermented soybeans--a traditional Japanese breakfast food, and admittedly an acquired taste.

I learned about natto years ago from a Japanese friend and have been enjoying it ever since. It comes in little styrofoam containers and is good served cold over hot rice with chopped scallions, soy sauce, rice vinegar and mustard (a small packet is usually included when you buy it) mixed in. It has a kind of a slimy texture, like okra, that some people find off-putting, but I really love it.

--Nora (no blogger acct)

8:18 AM

 
Blogger Pippa said...

I also love natto.I discovered it in a natural food store, but find it hard to buy in Melbourne I am not sure why, but I guess it doesn' t appeal as much to Australian tastebuds. Even in the great Japanese food stores it's hard to find, but I will have to keep searching you have just reminded me of what that nutty, slightly sweet paste is like with hot rice!

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Pippa said...

I also love natto.I discovered it in a natural food store, but find it hard to buy in Melbourne I am not sure why, but I guess it doesn' t appeal as much to Australian tastebuds. Even in the great Japanese food stores it's hard to find, but I will have to keep searching you have just reminded me of what that nutty, slightly sweet paste is like with hot rice!

1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home